Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Do It Yourself Music Video - Not Easy, But Sure is Fun

So I made my own music video... Now while that may have many people assuming it's gonna suck, just hold on.

Granted it's not slick but you can do some really super cool things with a laptop and a smart phone with a decent camera (which is every smart phone these days).

Firstly and most importantly, envision your music video. I sat and thought about it for maybe a week as I also was filming stuff around my neighborhood that I thought might be cool to be in a video.

Actually, the first ideas I had were epic. It's important to get these ideas out. and then out of the way. So then I moved onto thinking about practicality. I needed to be able to make a video for next to nothing.

After another week of mulling and shooting more video I felt like I had it figured. I would make some sort of trippy footage and then rear project it onto a screen behind me while I played my guitar in the fore ground. In a nutshell and that's kind of what I did except rear screen projection turned out to be disappointing and very difficult to look good. I managed to figure out green screening and that worked out best.

I should explain. I thought rear screen because green screen used to be a technicians job, not something I could do. Turns out I could and did do just that because technology has become so fluid and easy (hah, well comparatively) that I figured it out with a few youtube videos and some articles.

Oh, and a lot, a lot, a lot of experiments and tests. Making art, film, music is a lot like engineering. You've got the blue print, the plans, you understand everything pretty well, but until you lay your hands to the materials you won't really know if the peg will go in the hole, or the rocket will fly straight or the 10$ green screen made from wrapping paper, will actually work.

Yes, 5 rolls of wrapping paper. I did this set up twice for 10$. 
 I'll expand this post.
Displaying IMG_9775.JPG    

No comments:

Post a Comment